Tuesday, August 28, 2012

At last data moshing on windows...

Yes, data moshing works in Windows XP using avidemux... wow.

It wasn't that hard really... After watching the 3 part tutorial on youtube :)

I felt like a fucking moron a few months ago trying to get the effect to work.

For a little while there I thought about buying a mac just to use ffxmpeg of whatever its called.

For those who say its dated, fuck yes! But its looks so cool :)

The key was in the keyframes section of avidemux..

1. re-encode the source video as xvid

Instead of COPY > choose > mpeg 4 Xvid

choose configure > frames tab > iframe interval to really high.

note you can delete the audio since it's not going to really work...

2. append the re-encoded clips and delete the first iframe where the clips join.

Note: The above assumes you've seen that 3 part data moshing tutorial on youtube :)

that's all i can remember. writing this down so I don't forget next time I revisit the idea.

I would post an example but it's too long.

should have used some shorter clips.

oh well.

I tried virtual dub and could not open a fucking thing or make heads or tails of the shit.

next time.

-Don

Update #1

Wow so I wrote the above bullshit in 2010 and this is me revisiting the idea in 2012. Holy shit dood.

Yes data moshing still works in windows... Windows 7 at the time of me writing this.

Just jotting some extra notes down so I don't forget it... Yay bullet points, fun...
  • In order to delete an I frame in avidemux you select frames surrounding it. Duh took me like 30 minutes to remember that.
  • After you have appended the clips you wish to data mosh, change the "video" mode in avidemux to "copy" rather than re-encoding.
  • If avidemux prompts you to "enable smart copy", choose no. I think? I need to fuck around with it a little more.
More as this story develops...




5 comments:

  1. I doesn't work for me... I can't change it to Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4) and it doesn't give the same options. You cant change frames or anything. You can only check on 'Swap U and V' or 'Show motion vectors'.
    Do you know anything about that?? Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doesn't work for me... I can't change it to Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4) and it doesn't give the same options. You cant change frames or anything. You can only check on 'Swap U and V' or 'Show motion vectors'.
    Do you know anything about that?? Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to download an older version of AVIDemux to get these options. I just downloaded 2.5.3 and it has them.

    ReplyDelete